Very Intense Exercise – training is extremely potent and time efficient: a reminder Edward F. Coyle of the University of Texas at Austin wrote for the Journal of Applied Physiology June 2005 vol. 98 no 6
The study by Burgomaster et al. illustrates the importance of very short intense sprint training that can greatly increase aerobic endurance. The findings also indicate that short duration intense sprint training causes adaptations in skeletal muscle and increases mitochondrial enzyme citrate synthase activity.
“The findings of Burgomaster et al. challenge the concept that aerobic endurance performance is only enhanced by aerobic endurance training”. Edward F. Coyle http://jap.physiology.org/content/98/6/1983.full
Exercise Develops Children’s Bone Health
A research study published November 2007 in the Canadian Institutes of Health Research states exercise is an important factor in bone development. “The message we hope to convey is that small amount of exercise goes a long way to improving bone health in children” Heather McKay Director Centre for Hip Health and Musculoskeletal Research Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute
Do You need a training reference to help you find the right exercise for a particular muscle group. The Exercise and Muscle Directory is one of the best resources on the Web. This link is valuable as a training aid and as a Kinesiological resource. http://exrx.net/Exercise.html
Coming an explanation of Epigenetics
The PEBL Psychological Test Battery
PEBL Test Battery
The PEBL Test Battery distributes a set of psychological tests for researchers and clinicians. The current version is 0.6. It is distributed automatically with PEBL, and on windows appears in My Documents\pebl-exp\battery
- Attentional Network Test (PANT): Assess three kinds of attentional processes (in ANT\)
- Aimed Movement Task Evaluate Fitts’s law (in fitts\)
- Balloon Analog Risk Task Evaluate risk-seeking behavior (in BART\).
- Bechara’s Gambling Task Our version of Bechara’s “Iowa Gambling Task”. Choose from four decks, each choice with a cost and each providing reward. Used for tests of executive control (in iowa\)
- Berg’s Card Sorting Test (BCST) Our version of Berg’s (1948) Wisconsin Card Sorting Test®, in which the subject sorts multi-attribute cards into piles according to an unknown and changing rule (in bcst\)
- Bivalent Shape Task Esposito’s non-verbal stroop analog (in BST\)
- Big five personality scale Assess the ‘big five personality traits (in scales\bigfive.pbl).
- Berlin numeracy test The BNT, a short but valid measure of numeracy (in scales\BNT.pbl)
- Brown Peterson Test of short-term memory decay (in brownpeterson\).
- Change Detection task Identify a change in a visual scene (in changedetection\) See also LuckVogel.
- Choice Response Time Choose the stimulus letter (demo only) (in crt\)
- Clock Test AKA the “Mackworth Clock Test”. Watch a clock and see when it skips a beat (in clocktest\)
- Comfort Scales Four visual-analytic scales to measure heat-stress-related comfort (in scales\physioscales.pbl)
- Connections A trail-making test based on Salthouse et al. (in connections\)
- Corsi Blocks An implementation of the classic spatial working memory test (in corsi\).
- Device Mimicry Task Recreate the path of a 4-df device (in devicemimicry\)
- Digit Span Remember a sequence of digits (in dspan\)
- Dot Judgment Determine which of two fields has more dots (in dotjudgment\)
- Deese-Roediger-McDermott The classic false memory paradigm (in DRM\).
- Ebbinghaus A simple implementation of the Ebbinghaus’s memory learning and re-learning procedure (in ebbinghaus\).
- Flanker Task Implementation of Eriksen’s Flanker task (in flanker\).
- Four choice response time Wilkinson & Houghton’s 4-choice response time. Respond to a plus sign that appears in one of four corners of the screen (in fourchoice\)
- Free recall A free recall list memory task, using the Toronto word pool (in freerecall\)
- Generation Example study demonstrating the generation effect. (in generation\)
- Global Local A basic version of Navon’s global-local task. This uses a special-purpose function to create the stimuli, which uses the rendered characters in a specified font to create the global/local font image (in globallocal\).
- Go/No-go Task A Go/No-go task; a simple continuous performance task (in gonogo\).
- Handedness inventory A short scale to judge preference for left versus right hand (in scales\handedness.pbl)
- The Hungry Donkey Task A version of Bechara’s Gambling Task for children. The donkey chooses from four doors, each door has a cost and reward in apples. Used for tests of executive control test requiring subject to detect a rare visual stimulus (top or bottom) (in donkey\).
- Hick’s law Demonstration A demonstration of Hick’s law, where time to decide increases with number of options (in hicks\)
- Implicit Association Test A test of automatic associations between memory representations. Tests association between two sets of binary classifications. (in IAT\)
- Item-Order Test Identify whether something has changed in a text string. (in itemorder\)
- Letter-Digit Task 9-option version of the ‘code substitution’ task. (in letterdigit\)
- Lexical Decision Meyer & Schvaneveldt’s LDT–Determine whether a stimulus is a word or nonword (in lexicaldecision\).
- Luck and Vogel Change Detection Luck and Vogel’s multi-object visual working memory task (in luckvogel\).
- Manikin Task 3D Object Rotation Task. (demo only; in manikin\)
- Match-to-sample task See a grid pattern, then determine if it is the same as a new pattern (in matchtosample\).
- Math Processing task Compute a complex math problem in your head (in mathproc\)
- Math test A test of different mathematical problems (in mathtest\)
- Matrix Rotation UTC test battery matrix rotation. Determine whether a 6×6 matrix is the same (with rotation) as another. (in matrixrotation\)
- Mental Rotation Shepard’s mental rotation task. Determine whether two figures are identical, subject to rotation. (in rotation\)
- Memory Span A visually-presented click-response memory span task (in mspan\)
- Muller-Lyer Illusion Psychometric study of a classic visual illusion. (in mullerlyer\)
- N-Back PEBL Dual N-Back test (in nback\)
- TLX Workload questionnaire based on NASA-TLX (in scales\)
- Numerical Stroop Task An implementation of stroop interference, with either keyboard or vocal response input. (in stroop\)
- Object Judgment Determine whether two abstract polygons are identical (in objectjudgment\)
- Oddball Task Respond to the oddball in a sequence (in oddball\)
- Operation Span Test Memory task requiring mathematical distracter task (in ospan\)
- Paired Associates Learn semi-random assocations between terms (in pairedassociates\)
- Partial Report Procedure Lu et al.’s (2005) update of Sperling’s iconic memory procedure (in partial-report\)
- Path Memory Remember a drawn path (in pathmemory\)
- Pattern Comparison Task Determine whether two grids are identical (in patterncomparison\)
- PEBL Card-sorting Task Determine which rule (out of 10) is being used to sort cards into two piles (in pcards\)
- PEBL Continuous Performance Test Our version of CCPT: Conners Continuous Performance Task. 14-minute vigilance test requiring subject respond to non-matches. (in pcpt)
- PEBL Continuous Performance Test-AX CPT-AX. (in pcpt\)
- PEBL Compensatory Tracker Similar to Makeig & Jolley’s CompTrack Use mouse/trackball to keep a randomly moving target inside a bullseye. (in ptracker\)
- PEBL Manual Dexterity Move a noisy cursor to the target (in dexterity\)
- PEBL Perceptual Vigilance Task (PPVT) Our version of Wilkinson & Houghton’s Psychomotor Vigilance Task, A vigilance task used to detect vigilance and sleep lapses. (in ppvt\)
- PEBL Trail-making task Connect the dots. (in ptrails\)
- Probability Monitor Watch multiple random gauges to determine when one shows a signal (in probmonitor\)
- Probabilistic Reversal learning Identify which target is more likely to be correct (in probrev\)
- Probe-digit task Waugh & Norman’s test of short-term memory decay (in probedigit\).
- Pursuit Rotor A traditional eye-hand coordination task. (in pursuitrotor\)
- Random generationGenerate a sequence of random digits; a test of executive function (in randomgeneration\)
- Reading span Rememeber a list of letters while reading and judging sentences for sensibility (in readingspan\)
- Remote associates task A test of creative problem solving (in RAT\)
- Simple Response Time Detect the presence of a visual stimulus, as quickly and accurately as possible in srt\)
- Simon Task A S-R compatibility interference test. (in simon\)
- Situation Awareness Test Monitor moving objects and identify them when probed (in satest\).
- Spatial Cueing Posner’s attentional cueing (spotlight) task.. Given a probabilistic cue of where a stimulus will appear, respond as fast as possible. (in spatialcueing\)
- Spatial Priming Respond to a stimulus in a 3×3 grid with location primes. (in spatialpriming\)
- Stroop task Stroop’s attention task. Respond to either the color or name of stimuli. Also see Numerical Stroop Task and Victoria Stroop Task. in stroop\
- Survey Create a survey. (in survey\)
- Sternberg PEBL ‘Sternberg scanning’ task. (in sternberg\)
- Symbol Counter Task Garavan (2000) counter task Useful indicator of executive control (in symbolcounter\)
- Switcher Task Object search based on switching between up to three dimensions. (in switcher\)
- Symmetry span The symmetry span; a complex working memory task requiring spatial memory and pattern interference (in symmetryspan\)
- Tapping Tap as quickly as possible for 60 seconds. (in tapping\)
- Timetap Tap the speed of a prespecified flash (in timetap\)
- Timewall UTC Test battery’s Time wall. Estimate the time when a moving target will reach a location behind a wall (in timewall\)
- Tiredness scale A short measure of current tiredness (In scales\tiredness.pbl).
- TOAV: Test of Attentional Vigilance Our version of the TOVA®: Test of Variables of Attention. A 22-minute (in toav\)
- Tower of Hanoi Traditional problem solving/planning task. Tests ability to make and follow plans in problem solving task. (in toh\)
- Tower of London Traditional problem solving/planning task. Tests ability to make and follow plans in problem solving task. (in tol\)
- Travelling salesman problem Find the shortest path to visit all points (in tsp\).
- Two column addition UTC test battery’s 2-column addition Add three two-digit numbers and respond quickly and accurately. (in twocoladd\)
- Typing Type various passages of text. (in typing\)
- PEBL Vigilance Task. A novel vigilance task requiring both rest and vigilance periods (in vigilance\).
- Visual Search Look for a target in a field of distractors (in vsearch\)
- Victoria Stroop Task A short standardized implementation of the stroop test (in stroop\)
- Weather Prediction Task (in wpt\)
- Word fluency task An implementation of the Thurstone or Chicago Word Frequency/Word Fluency task, a component of the COWAT. (in wft\)